Agawam Don’t Let Your Bird Bath Freeze This Winter
If you live in the Agawam area and own a bird bath, don’t let it freeze this winter. With temperatures dropping and ice forming, your bird bath may crack from the expanding and shrinking. Plus a frozen bird bath makes it hard for birds to drink. With outside water freezing over, many birds are searching for water. This means they are expanding the energy needed for food and warmth. It takes a huge amount of energy for a bird to eat snow or ice.
The Bird Store and More in the Agawam area carries various types of heated bird baths. Heated baths cycle on and off keeping the water at an average of 35 degrees. The heated baths are not constantly running, so they use little electrical utility. They maintain just enough heat to keep ice from forming in the bath.
Water is essential for birds to drink, bathe and preen. Deep snowfall and abundant ice, can make fresh water scarce in the winter. Birders who provide heated bird baths give their backyard birds an abundant source of water so the birds do not have to use extra energy to melt snow. A heated bird bath will also attract other winter birds that may not be interested in feeders, bringing even more birding interest to a winter yard.
Tips for Bird Baths in Agawam
- Choose a dark colored bird bath. This will absorb the heat from the sun, thereby using less electricity.
- Birds will be able to find a color bath that sticks out against white snow.
- Make sure you keep the bath filled appropriately so that the birds don’t get burned.
- Clean your bird bath regularly to keep bacteria and viruses from forming.
- Cleaning your bird bath will also keep your heater working properly.
- Never use chemicals or additives to prevent the water from freezing. These chemicals are toxic to birds and can be deadly.
By using a heated bird bath appropriately, it’s easy to supply backyard birds with enough liquid water in the Agawam area for drinking, bathing, and preening all winter long. Stop by The Bird Store and More in Sturbridge Massachusetts for all your birding supplies.
Shop online or come into our store. We have customers come in from all over the state including Agawam, Feeding Hills, Blandford, Brimfield, Chester, Chicopee, East Longmeadow, Granville, Hampden, Holland, Holyoke, Longmeadow, Ludlow, Monson, Montgomery, Palmer, Thorndike, Russell, Southwick, Springfield, Tolland, Wales, West Springfield, Westfield, and Wilbraham.